Cruise News - Summer 2019
There’s never a dull moment in the world of cruises, and the industry is predicting even more growth over the next decade.
Cruise Industry News has recently published its annual report, which includes some interesting statistics:
- British cruise ships currently have capacity to carry 1.5 million passengers per year (i.e. during 2019)
- Another 500,000 British passengers will be sailing on non-British ships in 2019
- British ships’ capacity that is being marketed is more than 2.6 million passengers by 2027
Top Cruise Destinations
Cruise Critic has named Avignon as the world’s top cruise destination in its annual Cruisers’ Choice Destination Awards. The rankings are based entirely on ratings given to cruise destinations by passengers.
The overall top 5 were:
“Quaint, intimate and chic,” Avignon was named top river cruise destination and top destination overall.
- Bora Bora
Cruise from Hawaii, California, Australia, or even from London and Southampton to this French Polynesian paradise.
- Glacier Bay, Alaska
With incredible scenery, majestic glaciers and humpback whales, this destination is a must-see. Most cruises to Alaska depart from US or Canadian ports.
Not often thought of as a cruise destination, Vienna is a magical city with easy access to the rest of Europe. Sail the Danube and enjoy world class art, concerts, food and wine.
From history and natural beauty to towering skyscrapers, there’s no end to the entertainment in this fascinating city-state.
Which have you visited, and which will you be adding to your cruise wish list?
Floating Hotels For Tokyo 2020
Concerns about an accommodation shortage for the 2020 Olympic Games have made Tokyo officials look into using cruise ships for the occasion, reports cybercruises.com
A fleet of moored cruise ships could help to ease the shortage and house thousands of fans. No doubt many of them will book a cruise before or after the Games too, as there are some amazing cruise itineraries in the region.
Special Interest Cruises: How about a few rounds of golf?
As you know, more and more cruises are catering to special interests with tailor-made itineraries and on-board experts.
One Ocean Expeditions is creating dream experiences for golf enthusiasts and their non-golfing travel companions. In June 2019 they introduced a Scotland & Ireland Golf Expedition that was “an overwhelming success.”
“With a golf specialist onboard for guidance, golfers travel off the beaten track through rugged landscapes and historical greens,” reports cybercruises.com
There will be another Scotland & Ireland golf cruise in June 2020.
Recent Blog Posts
- Venice Bans Large Cruise Ships
- Ryanair Strikes: Everything You Need To Know
- Travel Alerts 19/8/2019
- Experiential Cruises: Find Your Niche
- From the MD's Desk: When Strikes Affect Your Travel Plans
- Travel Alerts: 5 August 2019
- Beating The Car Hire Cowboys
- Cruise News - Summer 2019
- Travel Alerts: 23 July 2019
- Even More Summer Holiday Deals