Q: Useful information to help you

These questions are to assist you. You should read the policy carefully to make sure it suits your requirements. The policy wording is available on this website (click on "View Policy Wording" on each product page). As with all insurance policies there are terms and conditions. For example, there are excesses under some sections of your policy for which you are financially responsible. Unless you purchase TravelXSProtect insurance which pays the policy excess for you. You are signing electronically that you abide by the terms and conditions.

Q: Can I cover my 21 year old children on my annual policy?

A: Yes if your children are still in full time education.

Q: Do I need to take my policy with me when travelling?

A: Yes. Your full Policy Document provides you with information and emergency telephone numbers which you will need in the event of making a claim whilst travelling. It will also provide details of any supporting documentation that may be required in the event of a claim (i.e. loss reports, receipts etc.)

Q: What do I do in order to make a claim?

A: Before making a claim, please check your policy schedule and your policy document to see if your claim is covered. You must be able to account for all expenses incurred, so please remember to keep relevant original receipts and reports (not photocopies), as they will be required to settle a claim. When you make contact with the relevant claims department - see below, remember to quote your name, policy number and the name of the insured person.

Q: Who do I call if I need to make a claim?

For medical emergency, medical related expenses, repatriation and evacuation claims for the following policies:

  • Fit-4-Travel
  • International Cruise Insurance
  • International Annual Multi-Trip
  • International Single Trip
  • Caravan and Motorhome Travel Insurance
  • Fish-2-Fly

Please telephone our Emergency Medical Assistance provider on +44 (0) 333 5777 278 at any time of the day or night.
E-mail: travelassist@amtrustgroup.com

For cases requiring hospitalisation or if you need a medical referral, please call as soon as possible.
If admitted as an in-patient, authorisation must be obtained before any costs are incurred. If this is not possible because of the seriousness of the condition, please make contact as soon as possible after admission. Similarly, before making any repatriation or evacuation arrangements, authorisation must be obtained.

If costs are incurred without notification, then the insurer is only liable for such costs as they would have incurred had such a notification taken place, based on existing price agreements and provided the claim is valid.

The minimum information required by the Emergency Assistance Company is:

1. Your name
2. The policyholders name (the person who took the policy out and their home address)
3. Please quote the policy name: e.g. Fit-4-Travel
4. The Policy Number (if known)
5. Your address abroad
6. The telephone number or e-mail address where you can be contacted
7. Details of the medical problem, the hospital and treating doctor’s details and their contact information

The Medical Assistance Services provided by the Assistance Company are:

24 hour Service Access to multi-lingual co-ordinators through the emergency telephone lines operating 24 hours a day 365 days a year. The co-ordinators are trained in worldwide hospital procedures.
Medical Staff A qualified medical team is available to ensure that the most appropriate medical treatment is provided, with access to medical consultants.
Evacuation Services Evacuation or repatriation services provided and depending on the circumstances air ambulance or scheduled airline available and if medically necessary attended by a fully equipped medical team.
Direct Billing Direct billing (for in-patient treatment) with hospitals (where the hospital accepts this) which removes the cost and inconvenience of using personal cash or credit card.

For all other types of claim and our other policy types please see the information below.

For Safe Journey Terrorism Travel Insurance;
Emergency Medical Expenses claims, Emergency Accommodation claims, Medical Repatriation claims, assistance with Curtailment travel arrangements and funeral arrangements


For Cancellation or Curtailment claims for all policies and Medical Claims as an Out-Patient

  • Fit-4-Travel
  • International Cruise Insurance
  • International Annual Multi-Trip
  • International Single Trip
  • Caravan and Motorhome Annual Multi-Trip
  • Fish-2-Fly
  • Safe Journey Terrorism Travel Insurance

For medical losses which do not require admission as an in-patient, for example GP visit, medication or x-ray you should settle these costs directly and submit a claim form for reimbursement when you return to your home location. The completed claim form should be submitted to Reactive Claims as noted below. Reactive Claims will take the full particulars of the occurrence from you and issue a suitable claim form.
Reactive Claims
Telephone: +44 (0) 333 5777 279 (9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday)
Facsimile: +44 (0)1420 558 111
Post: Reactive Claims, Attwood House, Mansfield Business Park, Four Marks, Hampshire GU34 5PZ
Email: a&hclaims@amtrustgroup.com

Non-Medical Claims For non-medical claims, you should submit the completed claim form to Reactive Claims.

When submitting the claim form, please check that it is fully completed including the policy number and where there is a requirement to obtain supporting documentation for your claim please ensure these are included with the completed claim form and return it to:

Reactive Claims
Telephone: +44 (0) 333 5777 279 (9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday)
Facsimile: +44 (0)1420 558 111
Post: Reactive Claims, Attwood House, Mansfield Business Park, Four Marks, Hampshire GU34 5PZ
Email: a&hclaims@amtrustgroup.com

If the trip has to be cancelled, Reactive Claims, the tour operator, travel agency and/or transport must be advised immediately.
If the trip is cancelled for medical reasons, please obtain a claim form from Reactive Claims.
Your own medical practitioner should complete the certificate/declaration on the claim form.
If the trip has to be curtailed, authorisation must be obtained from Reactive Claims before any expenses are incurred.
If the curtailment is for medical reasons, please obtain a medical certificate from the medical practitioner treating the insured person locally.

For End Supplier Failure Insurance claims; all policies except International Cruise

Please advise International Passenger Protection as soon as you become aware of the financial failure.
IPP House, 22-26 Station Road, West Wickham, Kent ER4 0PR
Tel: +44 (0)208 776 3750
Fax: +44 (0)208 776 3751
Email: info@ipplondon.co.uk

For End Supplier Failure Insurance claims; only International Cruise

Reactive Claims
Telephone: +44 (0) 333 5777 279 (9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday)
Facsimile: +44 (0)1420 558 111
Post: Reactive Claims, Attwood House, Mansfield Business Park, Four Marks, Hampshire GU34 5PZ
Email: a&hclaims@amtrustgroup.com

For Legal Expenses claims for all policies except Fit-4-Travel, Caravan and Motorhome Annual Multi-Trip and Fish2Fly

Claims should be notified as soon as possible and, in any event no later than 30 days of your becoming aware of a potential claim.
Please contact Pennington Manches LLP on 0845 3750649
Legal Expenses claims for all other travel insurance schemes should be directed to Reactive Claims.

For Legal Expenses claims for the following policies Fit-4-Travel, Caravan and Motorhome Annual Multi-Trip and Fish2Fly

Reactive Claims
Telephone: +44 (0) 333 5777 279 (9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday)
Facsimile: +44 (0)1420 558 111
Post: Reactive Claims, Attwood House, Mansfield Business Park, Four Marks, Hampshire GU34 5PZ
Email: a&hclaims@amtrustgroup.com

For all other claims

Claims should be notified as soon as possible and, in any event, no later than 30 days after the event leading to the claim.

Please contact Reactive Claims weekdays between 9.00am and 5.00pm
Reactive Claims
Telephone: +44 (0) 333 5777 279 (9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday)
Facsimile: +44 (0)1420 558 111
Post: Reactive Claims, Attwood House, Mansfield Business Park, Four Marks, Hampshire GU34 5PZ
Email: a&hclaims@amtrustgroup.com

Q: How do I view the e-mailed version of my policy?

A: You will need a current version (4 or above) of Adobe Acrobat Reader to open the

Q: How will I receive my policy documents?

A: These will be emailed to you as soon as you have paid your premium. If you don’t want documents emailing to you we will post them if you request that we do this, we may make a small charge for the print, fulfillment and postage.

Q: We've got an annual policy and we go on holiday in the UK frequently - is the UK covered?

A: Yes, your policy includes cover for trips taken within the UK (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland) where you stay or plan to stay for at least two nights in pre-booked accommodation.

Q: What can I do to make sure that nobody sees the financial information I input into the website?

A: All the financial information you transmit across the Internet is encrypted, meaning  it is secure against possible interception.

Q: What happens about my renewal if I have an annual policy?

A: Approximately 30 days before your policy expires, a Renewal Notice will be emailed to you to invite you to renew your policy. Subject to your insurance companies applicable Terms and Conditions. A new medical screening will be required to allow us to renew your policy if you have pre-existing medical conditions. If you have made a claim on your policy in the previous 12 months we may need to refer your renewal to underwriters.

Q: What if I wish to cancel my policy?

A: Simply notify us within 14 days of purchase or policy inception which ever is the later, and your premium will be refunded in full. There will be no refund if you have already travelled or your travel has already commenced. If you need to cancel your policy outside of 14 days we will charge you time on cover, plus a policy cancellation fee.

Q: What is Insurance Premium Tax?

A: Insurance Premium Tax (or IPT as it is often known) at 20%, is a tax which we have to collect for the Government. Our Fish2Fly insurance charges IPT at 10% for the portion of cover that protects only angling equipment, the travel insurance linked to this scheme has IPT at 20%%

Q: I am currently under a course of treatment with my GP. Should I declare this?

A: You must declare any and all medical treatment for which medication, advice or treatment has been received prior to your Travel Insurance application or if you have new conditions or medication/treatment changes once your policy is in effect . Some policies require disclosure of all pre-existing medical conditions irrespective of when they were diagnosed or treated. 

Pre-existing medical conditions can be covered if you have declared them to us, and we have confirmed in writing that you will be covered for them. You need to give as much information as possible so that we can make a clear judgement as to whether or not we can cover you.

Q: What do you class as a pre-existing medical condition?

A: Any medical condition you have or have had, for which you are taking prescribed medication or are waiting to receive, or have received treatment (including surgery, tests or investigations).

Q: Do you cover pre-existing medical conditions?

A: Yes, but you will need to be screened and all pre-existing medical conditions declared to your insurer, we will always provide written confirmation that your conditions after screening either can or can not be covered. Our screening service can be contacted on 0800 848 8448 (Calls to this number are free from a landline.)

Q: Would I be covered if I had to cancel due to ill health?

A: The policies provides cover under the cancellation section of the policy due to ill health, subject to the policy terms and conditions.

Q: If I fall ill or have an accident while abroad, how do I pay my medical bills?

A: Before you incur any substantial medical expenses abroad we recommend that you contact the 24hr Emergency Helpline number provided. This number can be found in your policy documentation and above in these "Frequently Asked Questions".

Q: My doctor told me that it would be unwise to travel abroad. Does this invalidate my policy?

A: It does invalidate large sections of your policy, especially the medical expenses section of your policy. If the advice was given after you had booked a trip abroad then you may be able to claim for the cost of the cancelled trip. Contact us for more details.

Q: Can I reduce the premium by taking less medical insurance cover?

A: £5 million may sound excessive but experience shows us that it is better to have a high level of cover rather than to be left under-insured. Repatriation is covered under this section of your policy and can be very expensive if it has to be by private plane. Similarly, even the most basic of medical treatment in the USA can run into tens of thousands of pounds a day.

Q: Doesn't the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) give me medical insurance?

A: The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) acts as part of a reciprocal health agreement with the UK to entitle the holder to the same state-funded treatment as the residents of the country they are visiting. However, this does not cover the cost of your repatriation back home and it may not cover all of the treatment you would expect to receive for free on the NHS. Travellers may still have to make a contribution to the cost of their treatment. You can apply for EHIC at your local post office. Be wary of websites that charge for this service – it should be FREE.

Q: If I engage in paragliding off the beach or even bungee jumping. Would I be covered if I had an accident?

A: Whilst many holidaymakers engage in an unusual activity, the policy does not automatically cover all sports and activities. Please check before you embark on any activities that you are covered, this information is available on our website under "View excluded leisure activities" in the relevant travel section, and in your policy documentation.

Q: If I buy a family policy can each family member be covered when travelling  alone?

A: This varies across policies quite a lot – you must check the policy wording. If you know you need this facility it is better to talk to us and we can endorse the policy subject to Underwriters Terms and Conditions

Q: We're going camping this year. So it is not a fully pre-booked holiday. Does our policy cover us?

A: Yes. Motoring, camping and self-catering holidays are included. If you were to miss a ferry or it was cancelled because of strike or bad weather you would be able to claim under your policy. Equally if your luggage was stolen or damaged there could be a valid claim and the other sections of your policy also apply. Camping equipment can be expensive so make sure you have enough insurance cover.

Q: If I'm called up for jury service will I be able to claim for my lost/delayed holiday?

A: Yes. This is called cancellation cover - and, providing the cancellation was beyond your control - such as compulsory jury service, if you did not know about the jury service at the time of booking your trip or insurance (whichever is later) you could be eligible to submit a claim. The same cover applies if you were unable to go on holiday because of illness of a member of the party travelling with you or the serious illness or death of a close family member. However, if an urgent business appointment came up that would not qualify for reimbursement.

Q: What happens if I miss my plane through no fault of my own?

A: Our policies include cover for Missed Departure. So, if you arrive at your departure point too late to catch your flight or ferry as a result of the failure of public transport services, or if the car you are travelling in is involved in an accident or breaks down, you may be eligible to submit a claim. It is your responsibility to provide the relevant documentation to prove your claim.

Q: My hotel room has been broken into and I hadn't put my valuables in the hotel safe - am I covered?

A: No. It is sensible to take heed of warnings about valuables being secured in the hotel safe or safe deposit boxes as thefts from hotel rooms are quite common place both here and abroad.

Q: Do I need to take an EHIC (E111) with me when I travel?

A: It is not compulsory to travel with an EHIC, however it is advisable if you are travelling to an EU country, as it may cover some standard medical costs and may also cover your excess. There is also the possibility that if you have any excesses to pay and you produce the EHIC card your excess may be removed.

Q: What do I do if my money or possessions are stolen whilst away?

A: You will need to obtain a police report within 24 hours of discovery, then contact our claims team when you return to the UK or within 31 days of the event, whichever is sooner. Our policy does not provide cover for replacement money to be sent to you whilst still on your holiday.

Q: Can I use an annual policy for long stay trips?

A: Our annual policy allows you to travel up to 90 days per trip. However we have policies that will cover you for up to 18 months, so please call us. 0800 848 8448 (Calls to this number are free from a landline.)

Q: How many times can I travel on an annual policy?

A: The number of times you travel is unlimited on an annual policy.

Q: Do I have to tell you every time I travel on an annual policy?

A: No, on an annual policy you do not need to inform us when you are travelling. However if your medical circumstances have changed since your original health declaration to us you need to be re-screened, our telephone number is 0800 848 8448